Nuremberg original given long-term protection
High quality mineral paint makes the facade of the Dürer House resilient
Nuremberg is famous for its historical backdrop of the main market with the Church of Our Lady and its other Gothic churches. Many half-timbered houses contribute to the impressive effect of the whole ensemble in the Old Town of Nuremberg. The world-famous painter and engraver, Albrecht Dürer, lived in one of these half-timbered houses.
The main parts of the house were built in 1420 in the typical mixed construction of a Middle Age domestic house. The two lower storeys of the four-storey corner house consist of stone masonry, whereas the two upper storeys were produced in framework. Dürer acquired the building in 1509 and lived there until his death in 1528. After Dürer's death the house withdrew into obscurity until 1871 when a museum was opened in the half-timbered house. It was destroyed in the war, but the historical building was rebuilt in 1951. Following an initial restoration in 1970-1971 during which the exhibition extension was added, the Dürer House received its present appearance in 2005. Here, the City of Nuremberg and the restorer decided on high quality mineral paint with very good physical properties for buildings (Sylitol) and Capadur Color weather protection paint, the water-thinnable protective coating for finishing coats on wood.
Photographs: Caparol Farben Lacke Bautenschutz/Martin Duckek